The Key Principle in Our Activities Is To Stimulate Residents Not Just Entertain Them
Our Care Homes fully embrace the philosophy of the National Association for Providers of Activities for older People (NAPA) which clearly states that:
“it is known that people who lead an active life report a greater sense of well being and fewer health problems.”
Abercorn Care Limited employs ‘Activities Coordinators’ with the specific task to stimulate our residents and to spread a culture of holistic well being among other workers and the larger community as a whole. Our aims are that activities are intended to…
- be simple and designed to engage all the senses because anyone must be able to undertake them, despite any physical or mental impairment;
- always be anticipated by stories or songs that are somehow connected to them, in order to stimulate imagination;
- ensure that every activity is based on a weekly rhythm, which allows residents to gain expertise, focus and a sense of security from them;
- be meaningful, in order to provide a sense of worth to our residents;
- always be permeated by a sense of joy, to keep the spirit and self-worth of our residents high.
Our residents enjoy regular visits from musicians and you can regularly hear a sing a long taking place.
Some of our activities include, wool felting, gardening, pottery, therapeutic painting and even helping in the kitchen by peeling vegetables. We welcome the residents to get involved in the community of the home and if they wish they can help with household tasks.
We also try to involve our residents in the community life by organising outings to shows, talks and other local events. Finally, the splendid location of our care homes in Portobello enables our residents to enjoy the beautiful vista from the Promenade and the fresh air of the seaside and local park.